Friday, June 3, 2011

Planet of Literary Guilt: The Austen Strikes Back

That delicious cloud of awesome permeating the air?
That, my friends, is the sweet taste of  VICTORY and ACHIEVEMENT and ACCOMPLISHMENT and CHECKING OFF GOALS.
Because I, RR, have finally.
Finally.
FINALLY.
Read my first Jane Austen all the way through.

*Cheers of the crowd*
*Rocky anthem plays*
*Tasteful laser show*
*Fireworks spelling things like "AUSTEN", "RR", and "VICTORY"*

Persuasion, published in 1817, was the last book Jane Austen ever completed. With a heroine Anne Elliot whom Austen called "too good" for her.
Also, it is by far the easiest Austen to read because of a smaller cast and simpler plot than, say, Pride and Prejudice.
Basically, Persuasion is about forgiveness and enduring love (sigh).

So Anne is basically resigning herself to hanging out with her vain father, neurotic younger (married) sister, and older unmarried sister who is obviously their father's favourite, for the rest of her life. THEN!
LO AND BEHOLD:
Captain Frederick Wentworth, a Man From Anne's Foolish Youth, appears on the scene.
Annnnnnd we all pretty much can guess what happens in the end.

I am not going to summarize the book anymore because A) HOW CAN YOU NOT GUESS WHAT THE END IS, and B) this post is not actually about the sheer loveliness of reading Persuasion. It's about GOALS! ACCOMPLISHMENT!
And the sweet, sweet taste of victory.
Am I going to accomplish everything else on my Literary Goal list?
Um. Probably not.
But you can bet I am going to suck every bit of gratification out of the ones' I do get to check off.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have a celebratory parade to attend.

Yours, a thoroughly gorged on self-congratulation
RR

No comments:

Post a Comment